- 2 cups dried red quinoa, rinsed
- 1.5 cups water
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cactus pads, chopped, previoulsy boiled for 15 minutes
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- juice of2 limes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- avocado slices for garnish
- First rinse and drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer.
- Bring a medium saucepan to medium heat and lightly toast the quinoa to remove any excess water. Stir as it toasts for just a few minutes.
- Next add water, set burner to high, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for 12-13 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and the liquid has been absorbed. Once fully cooked reserve and cool.
- In another saucepan boil cubbed cactus for the same amount of time. Rinse, drain and reserve.
- In a large bowl, add chopped cilantro, onions, cactus, tomato, lime juice and oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine and taste.
- Top an arepa or corn tostada and enjoy.