Aguachile is the Mexican version of a ceviche - you cook the fish in lime juice, but of course we always do include a chile pepper like jalapeño or serrano. I made this Shrimp and Spicy Cucumber Aguachile for the DLatino's cooking segment.
It's a refreshing recipe that is low-carb, filling and soooo tasty!
- 1 lbs shrimp, deveined, butterfly cut
- 2 cucumbers, deseeded and peeled
- 1/2 purple onion, thinly sliced
- 5 limes, juiced
- 2 Serrano peppers
- 1 small fist cilantro, leave a few leaves on the side for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the shrimp and butterfly-cut them. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Blend 1 cucumber, 1 Serrano pepper, cilantro and lemon juice. Strain.
- Add the blended and strained juice to the shrimp. Add the red onions, the rest of the cucumber and Serrano peppers and let sit for half an hour in the fridge, so the shrimp cooks in the lemon juice.
- Garnish with cilantro. Pair with baked tostadas (baked corn tortillas).