Here's to the ketchup lovers who would like to try a homemade version. This beet ketchup is free of additives and sugars and packed with lots of flavor and nutrients. It has a slightly earthy flavor.
I love to pour it over turkey burgers or as a side dip for my favorite veggies.
You can store it at the fridge for 3-4 days.
Makes 4 cups
- 1 lb. cooked red beets, diced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the chopped beets, vinegar, brown sugar, and onion in a 6-qt. saucepan and stir. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 25 minutes, until beets are tender.
- Remove saucepan from heat and purée with remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
If you really want a healthier version of real ketchup, then I suggest you try this one!