The great thing about this recipe is that it comes together quickly and you can add any extra vegetables that you like!The trick is to use lean, ground turkey, but you can still prepare it with pork or any other meat you desire.
Double up the recipe and store for later. Leading a healthier lifestyle is about having healthy options around you, so just store in an air-tight container and freeze for up to three weeks.
- 1 LBS GROUND TURKEY LEAN
- 1 EGG
- 1/4 CUP WHITE RICE LONG-GRAIN, UNCOOKED
- 1 1/4 CUP WHITE ONION, FINELY DICED
- 4 TBSPS CILANTRO FRESH
- 2 1/2 TSPS CHICKEN SEASONING MIX
- 1/2 TSP BLACK PEPPER
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC MINCED
- 5 CUPS WATER
- 1 CUP YUKON POTATOES
- 1 14.5 OZ. CAN TOMATOES NO SALT, CUBED
- 1 TBSP OLIVE OIL
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, egg, rice, 2 tablespoons of onion, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, ½ teaspoon of chicken seasoning mix, pepper and garlic.
- Mix the ingredients well with your hands. Make 18 meatballs, roughly 1-inch thick, with the palms of your hand. Place on a dish.
- Over medium-high heat, add water and meatballs to a casserole pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 12 minutes more. Remove any foam that forms with a stirring spoon and add the potatoes.
- In a blender, add the canned tomatoes with their sauce and 1 teaspoon of broth from the meatballs. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the remainder of the onion and cook for one minute, stirring frequently. Add the mix from the blender and cook for five minutes, until the mix comes to a boil. Remove from the heat once it does and add to the casserole with the meatballs and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Serve in a bowl, garnish with the rest of the cilantro.