A deliciously refreshing dessert and a South Floridian staple - Cookies N' Key Lime Ice-cream!
My favorite childhood dessert was one my aunt introduced me to in Mexico: Mango Mousse with Galletas Maria. Once I moved to South Florida two years ago, I knew I had to try making a variation of this dessert with Key Lime, and that is how my Key Lime Mousse with Galletas María was born.
You could make this dessert with any seasonal fruit, but this is one of my favorite variations.
- 3 CUPS KEY-LIME JUICEFRESHLY SQUEEZED
- 1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 8 OZ. UNFLAVORED GELATIN
- 2 LARGE EGG WHITES
- 2 CANS CONDENSED MILK
- 1 PACK GALLETAS MARIA CRACKERS CRUSHED (7 OZ. PACKAGE)
- Blend the sugar, key lime juice, unflavored gelatin, condensed milk and reserve.
- Beat the egg whites with the whisk until soft peaks form. Continue beating the egg whites as you incorporate the previous mixture, then continue beating until it becomes heavy.
- Prepare a glass baking dish and line it with a bed of crushed Galleta Maria cookies. Pour part of the mixture until it covers the crackers. Line with another layer of Maria cookies, followed by the mixture. Repeat the process until the baking dish is full.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.