These lettuce tacos are a healthy and tasty alternative to one of our all-time favorite foods!
If you're looking to lose some pounds or simply stay in shape, then these lettuce turkey tacos are for you! The tortilla is replaced by butter lettuce or romaine lettuce, and the delicious meat filling will not disappoint. The lettuce gives the dish a crunch that will leave you satisfied and guilt-free.
- 2 TBSP OLIVE OIL
- 4 TBSP SESAME OIL
- 2 LBS TURKEY GROUND
- 2 CLOVES GARLIC CHOPPED
- 1 RED ONION CHOPPED
- 1 CUP EGGPLANT DICED IN SMALL CUBES
- 1 CUP PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM SLICED
- 4 TBSP SOY SAUCE
- 2 TBSP RICE VINEGAR
- 1 TBSP GINGER FRESHLY CHOPPED
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC CHOPPED
- 2 SERRANO CHILES SEEDED, CHARRED
- 1/2 CUP CILANTROCHOPPED
- 1 HEAD BUTTER LETTUCE OR ROMAINE, WASHED
- SALT TO TASTE
- PEPPER TO TASTE
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with pinch of salt, cover.
- In a large skillet, add both oils, onion, garlic, eggplant, mushrooms and serrano chiles. Cook over medium heat until the ingredients turn light brown. Add the turkey, cook for 10 more minutes over high heat.
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, salt and pepper. Remove from heat, set aside and reserve.
- Serve the filling in the lettuce instead of tortillas and enjoy!