I love using cactus pads for my recipes and these cactus tacos, or nopal tacos, are a tasty option that blends Mexican-tradition with contemporary nutrition!
Nopales are high in fiber, vitamin C, they are also known to help regulate blood sugar levels.These tacos de nopales are a great option for vegans and vegetarians.
Feel free to add steak or seafood!
- 3 - 4 NOPALES LARGE, OR CACTUS PADDLES
- 2 TABLESPOONS EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 8 CORN TORTILLAS OR WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT TORTILLAS
- 4 LIMES FRESH
- 1/2 RED ONION SLICED
- 1 SERRANO CHILE CHOPPED
- 3/4 CUP SOY SAUCE
- 3/4 CUP CILANTROCHOPPED
- If thorns are present, carefully snip them off with a sharp knife.
- Cut the outer perimeter (about 1/8 inch) from each cactus paddle. Slice them.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and add sliced cactus pads. Cactus will go from bright to pale green as it cooks. It’ll also releases some juices. Cook until the pad begins to develop a light brown color, about 5-8 minutes. Toss in onion, and cook for 3 more minutes. Add chopped cilantro, lemon juice, soy sauce, serrano chile, and cook covered for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Assemble each taco by heating a tortilla 2 minutes per side and adding fresh guacamole and nopales on top, close and enjoy!