Mexico has it all! That's what inspired this quinoa and nopal bowl. Mexico is rich in soil, has two coastlines and has great weather - the perfect environment that makes us one of the biggest avocado producers in the world. In addition to avocado, we also have many other fruits and veggies that are not a daily habit in the U.S., like the nopal - or cactus pads.
Rich in fiber, low-cal and flavorful, I always have nopales in my fridge. I sometimes mix it in my morning smoothie with other veggies, or use it to replace tortillas, or maybe even cut in long pieces and mix into a salad.
The magic bowl has not one, not two but three superfoods: avocaodos, quinoa and nopales.
Feel free to add your favorite protein to the mix (although quinoa is already high in protein, and so are the nopales!
- 3 CUPS TRICOLOR QUINOA
- 6 MEDIUM NOPALES CUT INTO STRIPS
- 2 TOMATOS DICED
- 3/4 CUP CILANTRO FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 RED ONION, DICED
- 3 AVOCADOS RIPE
- 1 SERRANO CHILE SEEDED AND DEVEINED
- 3/4 CUP OLIVE OIL
- 2 LEMONS JUICED
- SALT TO TASTE
- PEPPER TO TASTE
- Cook quinoa according to the package instructions. Reserve.
- Broil cactus pads or nopales in medium heat over a skillet, once they release their liquid completely remove from heat, chop and set aside.
- Cut the rest of the vegetables. Add oil, lemon juice salt and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients with quinoa and enjoy!